It was an absolutely perfect day! We spent it eating delicious food, opening up lovely girly gifts, & talking about memories past and exciting new things to come. Once the majority of the family left we spent the evening with just my mom, dad, sister & her husband. It was relaxed & wonderful. We picked up what is arguably the best burger on the island & snuggled in upstairs to watch the latest Bond flick. Other than having to pack back up & leave it was the best day. I'm thankful to have a husband who enjoys spending time with my family & who drove me home late in the evening so that I could be in bed for work the next day.
Sunday morning came quickly & in the morning I awoke to Chase's obnoxious alarm blaring. After sleepily giving him a "what the heck" look and the third degree about why he'd have his alarm set on a non work day for him I drug myself into the bathroom to get ready for the day. A few seconds later he peaks through the door with a card & a tiny box. I had completely forgotten that this was actually Mother's Day & not just a regular old Sunday. The card was incredibly sweet & made me glad I hadn't started to apply my makeup just yet. He also got me a gift card for a massage so that I can, quote..."get some me time". It was a wonderful start to my day and such a sweet thought from my baby daddy.
I spent the rest of the day at work munching on the donuts I'd picked up to brighten mine and, hopefully, everyone else's day in between doing our daily nursing duties. Chase spent the day hanging out with his mom around our house & then went for bowling in the afternoon. It was a lovely day for all!




This is only my second Mother's Day & last year it was kind of a whirlwind and a bit surreal that it was even for me. This year's Mother's day meant so much more. I've had people ask me what is the most surprising thing about motherhood & I feel like the generic answer is that people tell you what it will be like but until you're in it you just have no clue. But to be more specific. The most surprising thing is just how selfless I can be. Even more surprising is realizing that for years now my mother has been had all of these feelings over overwhelming love, joy, fear, and selflessness for me. It is a complete reality check & the best kind. You hear quotes & stories of a mother's love, but I don't think that you could honestly understand the depth of it unless you are in fact a mother. The amount of time & energy you spend thinking and doing for someone other than yourself as a mother is pretty amazing. Whether it's holding her for an hour while she's crying, upset & hurt because of those mean budding teeth. All the while holding in my pee because she's just gotten comfortable and finally drifted off to sleep. Spending a little extra on her food because I want it to be the best. Or wearing bags under my eyes from staying up late in the evening cleaning up after a day full of mess making because she was just looked too happy to stop. These are little things in places in which I can be selfless for her. The weight I would carry for that sweet, sassy, sometimes trouble-making little lady is bigger than even I could imagine. So this Mother's Day was a very special one. To look around the room and see my mom, aunt, & Nana and realize the intensity of their love that they have for me and their children is a beautiful thing. To see my sister & my cousin who will be entering into a love like this within the next few years is an exciting thing. But the best thing of all is to see the little tot wobbling around pointing & asking everyone "whazat" bring smiles to everyone's faces. That inquisitive little girl is the one that has made me a mother. It is because of her that I am able to experience this incredible love. She has given me the gift of motherhood and the gift of being able to truly see the love that my mother has for me. For this gift I am eternally grateful for & I can only hope that some day we will be able to share in this gift together.
Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers out there. I hope that it was a special as mine was.
XO-The Culpeppers


No comments:
Post a Comment