Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Yard Work Has Become "My Thing"

   So I haven't posted much on here about the fact that my hubs is locked up in our study 24/7 studying for his big promotional exam for work.  My life has become working regardless of his schedule because it doesn't really matter if I'm home or not, and on days that our schedules are synced up I wake up offer to make breakfast & then kiss my hubby good bye as he walks down the hall & shuts the door.
  Now this is not to say that I have the short end of the stick, because I definitely would not want to be the one held up in a room all day with my nose in a book.  I have been so proud of him and I really do try and stay out of the way...but it is not my strong suit.  So I have taken to doing chores around the house & working in the yard.
I have not been known to have a green thumb, but I am forcing myself to learn.  In the past when I'm not good at something what works to my advantage is that I can be annoyingly persistent at it.  So with a kick start from Chase's wonderfully helpful Aunt Vicki a few months ago, I have been learning little by little ever since!  From the internet, to reading the little sticks that come with the plants like they are nursing school books that I will be tested over, to calling my mom a hundred times while staring at the rows & rows of plants at the store...I have been doing my best to suck up information.
So here are a few pictures of my accomplishments thus far.
(Warning: The word accomplishments is used loosely as I have not yet proved that I can keep these poor plants beautiful or...alive)

How can you start gardening without top notch gloves??...I wouldn't know ;)

The goods I scored.  BTW I definitely gravitate towards purple...
My trusty tools...yes the flip flops are key
It might not look like much now, but just you wait!
I planted the Mexican Heather in front of the tree with some
trailing fan flowers surrounding it, as well as the multi colored Angelonia.
(Notice my flower jargon, eh..eh??)

Okay so I don't remember what these are called but I bought them
purely because they are the flowers in the movie Bambi that the skunk "Flower" eats.
(Yes I am that big of a dork)

Not much to see, but just you wait!

A little pop of color there!
These will get much taller & should hopefully break up all the green we've got going on.

My favorite part of the yard, that is blocked by my neighbors car most of the time, lol
I realized that I never added pictures of the flower bed that my hubs & his Aunt designed & created.  So without further adieu...


Not the best picture, but in person it is beautiful & we really enjoy having
something pretty to look at while enjoying our pavilion.

The plants are struggling with the heat, & I am struggling to help them out!
Some will probably be changed out soon as they are clearly not cutting the Houston weather.
Also while I'm posting belated pictures; here are some pictures from a couple weeks ago.  I went to help my my mom and my aunt & family spruce up my uncle's backyard while my Nana & Grandad will be staying there.  We power washed, planted, & built patio furniture the day away!  I, of course, forgot to take pictures of the final product, but here are a few that I took from the day.

This was the start of the day:
My mom & aunt plotting out where things will go/what we will get,
and my uncle and cousin getting ready to read the
instructions for the patio furniture cover to cover....while I snicker at them ;)
My cousin Cody hard at work!

This is me sandwiched in the back of my mom's car.
It's a good thing they didn't like anything else or I probably
would have had to stay at the store!
Well that's all until next time, I hope you enjoyed seeing a little bit of what keeps me sane whilst my adorable husband is chained to his books!
XO-The Culpeppers

3 comments:

Meghan Giliam said...

Aww I'm so proud of you and your green thumb!!! :) And I'm jealous-- I haven't done real gardening in ages!

Lauren Culpepper said...

haha...idk if my thumb is green just yet, maybe more yellow-y ;) but thanks!

Kathy Drake said...

Can't wait to see your handiwork in full bloom! (Hope you have your Nana's green thumb.) :) Mom